[Box Backup-dev] ProtocolUncertainStream error

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 19:19:13 BST 2008

Thanks, Chris.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:
> Hi Pete,
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
>
>> * A process writes a new object to Amazon S3 and immediately attempts to
>>   read it. Until the change is fully propagated, Amazon S3 might report
>>   "key does not exist."

> I believe that what is happening is related to this behaviour. What to do
> about it depends on whether the s3fs developers consider this to be a bug
> or a feature of s3fs :)

Shucks.

I tried s3fs first (cuz it is open-source), but it couldn't keep up at
all.  So I broke down and bought jungledisk plus.

What's disappointing, and hopefully instructive, is that it worked
perfectly for hours and hours with about 40 GB of data flying in via a
FiOS line at 1.2Mbps.  Do maybe I have 1 bad file that I need to
manipulate or delete or something?  To test that, I deleted the .rfwX
file, and am running bbstoreaccountch check fix...it is taking quite a
while...I'll report back when done and tested...

I'll also submit a ticket to jungledisk pointing to the box backup
code that's failing:
.// --------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// Function
//              Name:    FileStream::FileStream(const char *, int, int)
//              Purpose: Constructor, opens file
//              Created: 2003/07/31
//
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------
FileStream::FileStream(const char *Filename, int flags, int mode)
#ifdef WIN32
        : mOSFileHandle(::openfile(Filename, flags, mode)),
#else
        : mOSFileHandle(::open(Filename, flags, mode)),
#endif
          mIsEOF(false),
          mFileName(Filename)
{
#ifdef WIN32
        if(mOSFileHandle == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
#else
        if(mOSFileHandle < 0)
#endif