[Box Backup-dev] Build failures in recent trunk

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Mon Dec 8 22:18:38 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 10:07:38PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, James O'Gorman wrote:
>
> > I've had Trac performing builds on various platforms over the last week
> > or so, and Per has kindly just donated 3 more build hosts.
> >
> > The bad news is that the client is currently failing on at least three
> > platforms, and the tests are always failing (usually the bbackupd test).
>
> At least some of the build failures seem to be caused by docbook errors.

Yes, I noticed that and I think I fixed the majority of it, but CentOS
is still having issues.

Per - would you be able to install the docbook-xsl package on your
machine? Otherwise it has to use the DocBook Stylesheet via HTTP which
is very slow.

> I had this problem as well and had to patch my Makefile on Windows to
> touch the files after trying (and failing) to generate them with
> xsltproc. I'm not so sure that it's a good idea to always build them,
> but I couldn't see an easy way to make them only as part of the
> distribution process. Would you mind having a look into that?

My only other thought was to have a separate make target for the docs,
but it was easier at the time to just hook it into the main targets.
I'll see if I can create separate {client,server}-docs targets.

Is it the same problem as CentOS that you have on Windows? If so, are
you able to install the DocBook stylesheets locally on your dev machine?
Would it be possible to add a Windows machine to Trac's build? I can
setup a Windows VM to do it if need be.

> > I'm going to skip the November snapshot and try and do one mid-December,
> > if the issues can be fixed.
> >
> > Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in the run-up to Christmas!
>
> Seems like a good idea, but I don't know when I'll have the time to look
> at it further.

It wasn't a demand for a fix, sorry if it sounded like one. Just making
sure you're aware of problems and of the build system.

James