[Box Backup-dev] Build failures in recent trunk

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Mon Dec 8 22:24:08 GMT 2008

Hi James,

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, James O'Gorman wrote:

> > I had this problem as well and had to patch my Makefile on Windows to
> > touch the files after trying (and failing) to generate them with
> > xsltproc. I'm not so sure that it's a good idea to always build them,
> > but I couldn't see an easy way to make them only as part of the
> > distribution process. Would you mind having a look into that?
>
> My only other thought was to have a separate make target for the docs,
> but it was easier at the time to just hook it into the main targets.
> I'll see if I can create separate {client,server}-docs targets.
>
> Is it the same problem as CentOS that you have on Windows? If so, are
> you able to install the DocBook stylesheets locally on your dev machine?

I'll try to install them, but so far I haven't found the right Cygwin
package. If it can use online stylesheets then I'm surprised that the
build failed, as I did have internet access at the time. Do you know
anything about the error message "Note: No refentry elements found in """?
I found it very cryptic and the debug/verbose output from xsltproc and
stracing xsltproc didn't yield any clues as to what was wrong either.

> Would it be possible to add a Windows machine to Trac's build? I can
> setup a Windows VM to do it if need be.

It should certainly be possible on any machine with cygwin, although I'm
not sure how to hook the Trac buildbot into Cygwin's environment. If you
could provide a VM that would be very helpful, as I only occasionally
start mine when I'm doing Windows development work.

> > > Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in the run-up to Christmas!
> >
> > Seems like a good idea, but I don't know when I'll have the time to
> > look at it further.
>
> It wasn't a demand for a fix, sorry if it sounded like one. Just making
> sure you're aware of problems and of the build system.

Thanks :)

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |