[Box Backup-dev] bin vs sbin

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 06:48:04 GMT 2008

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:14:22PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
>  Hi James,
>
>  On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, James O'Gorman wrote:
>
> >> Should we move the "system" commands to $prefix/sbin? By this I mean:
> >>
> >>  * bbackupd
> >>  * bbackupctl
> >>  * bbackupd-config
> >>  * bbstored
> >>  * bbstoreaccounts
> >>  * bbstored-certs
> >>  * bbstored-config
> >
> > Does anyone have an objection to the attacted patch? If not I'll commit
> > it tomorrow.
>
>  Nothing major, but why do we treat bbackupctl as a system program and
>  bbackupquery as a user program? They both need to run as the bbackupd user
>  (usually root). And raidfile-config should probably be an sbin too.

I agree with you actually - my patch differs from my original thought
but I guess I forgot to trim that email enough :-)

I suppose a quick summary of the patch then:

* In the backup-client parcel we'll move bbackupd and bbackupd-config to
sbin
* In the backup-server parcel we'll move everything to sbin

I was in two minds about bbackupctl and bbackupquery. In theory, a
normal user could use bbackupquery, as long as they have read access to
the keys. ctl-type programs seem to vary, sometimes in bin, sometimes in
sbin. PostgreSQL's pg_ctl program is in bin, so I thought I'd follow
their lead, but please do let me know if you think we should change
this.

>  Also, I think all the package scripts in contrib/ will have to be updated as
>  well.

I did have a quick grep of the whole tree and I *think* they do their
own thing, but yes, I'll double-check those.

Thanks for the input.

James