[Box Backup-dev] dll's

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Thu Feb 14 15:36:11 GMT 2008

For the record, for what's it's worth, I've built a simple installer
for Box Backup for Windows using InstallJammer.  It installs the files
in the directory selected at install time, installs the service, and
prompts for backup locations and exclusions and creates a
bbackupd.conf.  It also creates a stack of buttons under the Start,
All Programs menu system that launch various box backup common
functions, like opening notepad to edit the .conf file, starting the
service, stop the service, reload config, output query listings to
text files, etc.  That stack of buttons is getting kind of large, so I
got to thinking about replacing all those buttons with a GUI.

Knowing that Boxi is out there, but while having lots of potential, it
has a funky widget thing that I could never figure out, and requires
Chris' time which is being spent so well on core code development that
I hate to have him distracted.

I thought a Java GUI might be fairly simple way to creat a GUI around
the box backup commands.  (I tried playing around Eclipse and NetBeans
this week, and NetBeans looks far better.)

What do you all think about building a Java GUI interface?

Thanks,
Pete

On 2/14/08, Roy <boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
>  Is it possible to put the logic of box backup in dll's for the windows
>  platform? That way it can be used by other programs as well, especially
>  a GUI for box backup. And with updates of box backup, you don't have to
>  track those fixes to put back in the code for a GUI.
>  We really need a GUI for easy restoring of files on the windows
>  platform, but at the moment you would have to duplicate the code for that.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Roy

E.W. Peter Jalajas
PJalajas at GigaLock.com | http://GigaLock.com/
978-495-2062 | PO Box 1223, Newburyport, MA  01950-8223
Digital Fingerprint: 5D13 7C5C D003 D806 8BD1  438A B396 EC3D 1C23 B5F0

GigaLock is a secure off-site backup service for computers and
servers. We are currently protecting more than 1.1 million files for
clients nationally. Every day, your files are automatically and securely
backed up off-site and across the country. Plans include $19/month per
gigabyte, or up to 200 GB for a flat fee of $149/month! We are looking
for additional Customers, Resellers, and Sales Associates.