[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup-commit] COMMIT r2191 - box/trunk/contrib/debian

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 22:42:09 BST 2008

Hi James,

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, James O'Gorman wrote:

> > If users choose a different directory for running state than the
> > recommended one, or change the PidFile in bbackupd.conf, then they
> > will have to hack their initscripts to match.
>
> Well, I wrote the FreeBSD script so... :-) If you think it'll be
> deviating from other distributions' scripts though, let me know and I'll
> change it.

Not sure exactly what you mean here. Does your freebsd initscript expect
the bbackupd.pid file in /var/run or similar? If so, then I reckon it
might be wrong (or at least inconsistent with bbackupd-config).

I think /var/run is the "most common" (not to say official) place for PID
files, and therefore technically or arguably "right", but I think we have
to accept that almost all current users will have their bbackupd.pid in
their running state directory, and I don't want to break compatibility
without a vote of confidence.

> I must admit, my config has been sitting there happily for a few years
> now so I've forgotten what the default are; I have CommandSocket and
> PidFile set to /var/run/bbackupd.{sock,pid}, but I'm also awkward and
> have the DataDirectory under /data/bbackupd :-)

Check out bbackupd-config if in doubt :-)

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |