[Box Backup-dev] COMMIT r2515 - in box/trunk/docs: . docbook xsl-generic xsl-generic/common xsl-generic/highlighting xsl-generic/html xsl-generic/lib xsl-generic/manpages

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Sun Apr 26 23:37:14 BST 2009

Hi James,

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, James O'Gorman wrote:

>> Add a local copy of the XSL stylesheets needed to build Box Backup
>> docs, as remote copies are slow and prone to failure and weird
>> behaviour with different versions of xsltproc (e.g. on Cygwin).
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand the reasoning for this. Can't we just make
> it a requirement for people who want to build the docs manually to
> install a minimum (or specific) version of xsltproc and the stylesheets?

I did ask about it a few weeks ago and nobody complained. The problem is
that the online versions are (a) not usable without an internet
connection, (b) slow, and (c) don't work at all on cygwin. The only way
that I could get the docs to build at all on cygwin was this.

> To be honest I don't see why we need to bloat our tree with third-party
> sources which will get out of date...

The bloat argument I understand, and I'm sure we can trim down the fileset
somewhat. But do we care if they get out of date? I don't understand why
they would need to update the generation of the HTML files. Either we're
happy with them as they are, or we're not. If we don't change anything and
continue to use online copies, the most likely thing to happen is that
they will be moved or changed in a way that breaks backwards
compatibility.

> (Also, 5.5MB commit messages fail. Thunderbird ground to a halt and I
> had to switch back to mutt.)

Sorry, I wasn't expecting them to actually make it through to the list.
Shouldn't we have a size limit on list messages?