[Box Backup-dev] COMMIT r2515 - in box/trunk/docs: . docbook xsl-generic xsl-generic/common xsl-generic/highlighting xsl-generic/html xsl-generic/lib xsl-generic/manpages

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Thu Apr 30 20:24:21 BST 2009

On 26/4/09 23:37, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I did ask about it a few weeks ago and nobody complained.

Ah, that might've been when MailMan helpfully unsubscribed me for no
reason. :-(

> The problem is that the online versions are (a) not usable without an
> internet connection, (b) slow, and (c) don't work at all on cygwin.
> The only way that I could get the docs to build at all on cygwin was
> this.

Yes, I do understand the purpose of it. I just think perhaps we should
ask people to install docbook as a prerequisite (as they would for gcc,
autoconf, etc)...

> The bloat argument I understand, and I'm sure we can trim down the
> fileset somewhat. But do we care if they get out of date? I don't
> understand why they would need to update the generation of the HTML
> files. Either we're happy with them as they are, or we're not. If we
> don't change anything and continue to use online copies, the most likely
> thing to happen is that they will be moved or changed in a way that
> breaks backwards compatibility.

Fair enough. Let's see how it goes I suppose. I was more thinking that
if we ever wanted to use new features in DocBook we'd have to reimport..

> Sorry, I wasn't expecting them to actually make it through to the list.
> Shouldn't we have a size limit on list messages?

There is for boxbackup@ and -dev@ but I disabled it for -commit@ some
time back because some commits weren't getting through and I thought
it'd be better to have the messages than not.. obviously not expecting
such large commits to be made!

James