[Box Backup-dev] Self-introduction

Stewart Adam boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Thu Jul 23 22:53:54 BST 2009

Hi,

First of all, I wanted to mention how impressed I am with Box Backup.
Keep up the good work!

My name is Stewart Adam and I'm the developer of fwbackups, a user
backup program. So far fwbackups has been a wrapper to other utilities
(rsync+tar) with a GUI built around it, but I have been slowly rewriting
fwbackups into C++ to add some more features and make it more efficient
than my current implementation in Python.

One of my main goals for fwbackups was to make a user backup program
that was very easy to use, but not to sacrifice any features or
flexibility in the process of doing so. I came accross Box Backup the
other day, and it already does much of what I wanted to accomplish [1]
with the C++ rewrite of fwbackups.

There are a few thing I'm looking at extending in order to make box
backup satisfy my project goals:
* A cross-platform GUI interface that could administrate backup
configurations and jobs or perform file restores
* Support for backups to local folders (and therefore any mounted
drives) & optical media
* Support for multiple users on a single machine (still need to
investigate the possibility of running multiple non-root daemons)
* Support for multiple backup configurations per user (data can be
grouped and can have different settings, or be uploaded to different box
backup servers)

Would this something something that the development team is interested
in collaborating on?

Regards,
Stewart

[1] http://www.diffingo.com/oss/fwbackups/features