[Box Backup-dev] Soft-RAID support

David Sommerseth boxbackup-dev at boxbackup.org
Mon Jun 1 11:01:35 BST 2009

Hi!

I was reading through the BoxBackup documentation, and one crucial point of
why I chose BoxBackup seems to change ...

"The server currently supports a kind of RAID 5 in userland for extra
reliability. It is designed to use three separate paths which are mounted
from three separate physical disks (not partitions on the same disk!). This
is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. We recommend that
you disable it instead, otherwise you may lose your stored data when this
feature is removed. "
http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/ConfiguringAServer

Is there any reasons this will be changed?  I am currently using this
feature for one reason:  Safe distributed backup.

I have several clients connecting to the BoxBackup storage server via local
network or VPN.  The next phase I'm about to implement is to distribute
each of these 3 data folders to 3 different physical locations.  This way I
don't need to worry too much if one remote location gets compromised, as
the theory explained in the documentation is that you need minimum two sets
to rebuild the third set to make the data usable.  If one set gets
compromised we will have plans how to rebuild the backup storage and
distribute three complete new sets to new locations and destruct the two
remaining remote sets.

When the data is encrypted in addition, it really provides a good solution
for secure distributed remote backup.  Of course, the main backup server
got all three directories available.  But the security level of this server
location is also higher.

My idea for those 3 remote storages was to locate them in physically remote
  places within the organisation, or maybe in some cases at some associates
homes.  As the backup data is encrypted and you need to restore 2/3 of the
directories, this is considered safe enough.

I evaluated BoxBackup and set it up before this part of the documentation
changed.  Anyhow, there's also a contradictory sentence later on in the
same URL:

"NOTE Running the server in non-RAID mode has not been tested as
extensively as in RAID file mode."

kind regards,

David Sommerseth