[Boxbackup-dev] Switch from BDB to QDBM (was re: COMMIT r2631)

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Tue Feb 23 07:59:28 GMT 2010

Hi James,

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, James O'Gorman wrote:

> Out of interest, what's the advantage to QDBM over BDB?

It's small enough to bundle with Box Backup, designed to be simple and
fast, means consistent behaviour across platforms and allows us to escape
the nightmare mess of BDB version hell that we are currently stuck in.

> Will switching over cause any loss of state/config/etc?

There is probably no useful state to keep, because BDB support has been
broken in Box Backup since forever:

   http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/49

I want a single, stable database library that I can code to and use for
more advanced stuff (object reference tracking); it didn't seem to make
sense to link Box with two different database libraries, one for the inode
database and one for references; and I couldn't even figure out how to get
the BDB autoconfigury to work reliably; so it was easier just to kick the
whole thing out.