[Boxbackup-dev] Switch from BDB to QDBM (was re: COMMIT r2631)

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Tue Mar 2 02:12:13 GMT 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 19:33 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Stewart and James,
>
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Stewart Adam wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have the configure script probe for and use the
> > bundled version only QDBM wasn't found on the system? I know that many
> > distros (especially Fedora) frown upon bundled libraries.
>
> I would rather avoid it if possible. It's not a big library, it's not
> common, I don't believe there is a security issue, and I want to avoid
> reintroducing the version hell that we're escaping by using a known, fixed
> version of qdbm with each build on every platform.

We really do need to support use of the system QDBM since distributions
such as Fedora and Debian simply will not allow the use of bundled
libraries. It would be a shame if after changing the licence to be fully
free to enable Box Backup in Fedora we then managed to block it again on
a technical issue.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

I think the reasoning is sound even though as you say Chris BDB
versioning is hell. I think really that's the fault of BDB. I can't find
any information on backwards compatibility of QDBM so don't know how
that will fare.

Cheers,
Martin