[Boxbackup-dev] CXXFLAGS needs to be passed to linker

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Sun Mar 14 13:20:44 GMT 2010

Hi Chris,

On 14 Mar 2010, at 12:49, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I don't think it's particularly normal to pass compiler flags to the linker as well, is it? Perhaps some linkers wouldn't like it at all, especially if they're not gnu gcc/ld?

No, I didn't think so, but wasn't sure.

> Perhaps in this case it makes sense to add -m64 to LDFLAGS as well, as this appears to be a Solaris-specific issue where the Solaris linker can't detect that the files were compiled in 64-bit mode and link them properly?

Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go and see how it fares.

I've found a whole raft of issues with the Solaris-supplied build tools, and it's quite painful to fix. :(
So far there are issues with xsltproc (it doesn't know about windows-1250 encoding so the manpages fail to build), so I'm trying to build libxml2 and libxslt manually, but there are issues between the Solaris-supplied gcc and ld, but Sun Studio's cc doesn't work either.

James