[Boxbackup-dev] CXXFLAGS needs to be passed to linker

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Sun Mar 14 22:24:20 GMT 2010

Hi Chris,

On 14 Mar 2010, at 21:49, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I'm not sure we should be using that non-standard encoding anyway. Could you have a look at how easily we could remove all uses of it?

It's in some of the Docbook stylesheets that were imported. We could hack them, but that would make future imports tricky.

>> so I'm trying to build libxml2 and libxslt manually, but there are issues between the Solaris-supplied gcc and ld, but Sun Studio's cc doesn't work either.
>
> Interesting, I did get it to build with sun studio CC once, if there are issues then I hope we can fix them :)

Box itself seems fine with Sun Studio (it does moan about a few things but they're only warnings) - however the QDBM Makefile.in needs patching to remove gcc-isms like -Wall. The Sun Studio guys have said they may include this as a compatibility thing in the future, but for now it just bombs out.

libxml2 is proving particularly troublesome. I'm really starting to dislike autotools...

> Thanks very much for your help with Solaris support!

Both Ben and I use Solaris heavily, so it's in my interest to make sure it works :-)

James