[Boxbackup-dev] Latest Box Backup on Windows

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services pjalajas at gigalock.com
Wed Aug 3 04:23:14 BST 2011

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:49 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
>
>> I've moved on, but I'm long-term interested in compiling Box Backup on
>> Windows.  I think there are 3 compiling environment options on the
>> table:
>> #1.  Using MS Visual C++ 2010 Express
>> #2.  Using MinGW.
>> #3.  Using MinGW in Cygwin.
>> I guess I'm not really interested in investing any more time in #1 for
>> political and hassle reasons.  I have no preference between #2 or #3.
>> But I could be swayed by you.  No rush--I look forward to your input,
>> Charles!
>
> #1 is the only one likely to ever support VSS, since the necessary COM
> interfaces aren't sufficiently documented by Microsoft to create a working
> interoperable set of headers for free compilers.

Ugh...

So, would compiling with #1 mean that if one wanted to use VSS, one
wouldn't need to download
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23490
to create a temporary or non-persistent snapshot before each sync,
perhaps with a cmd/batch file a la
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530726(v=vs.85).aspx#accessing_nonpersistent_shadow_copies

I see now that Visual C++ 2010 Express is no cost, but requires
registration.  Downloading now on my new Win7 laptop....

Thanks, Chris,
Pete