[Boxbackup-dev] Latest Box Backup on Windows

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sat Jul 9 09:44:32 BST 2011

Hi Pete,

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:

> So I think I'll just use the 2751 precompiled Windows client.

Please do, and let us know if it works well for you, then I can add it to
the client releases page.

> (Funny how neither ClamWin nor Security Essentials detects that these
> files can send your entire hard drive off to another server somewhere.)

Well, so can Internet Explorer and ftp.exe, if you tell them to, that's
not really a security risk :)

> For the fun of it, I thought I'd try compiling trunk on Windows, following this:
> http://cuba-project.org/HOWTO_Compile_Box_Backup_from_source
> and this
> http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/CompileWithCygwinMinGW
> but both failed on the pcre ./compile step, the latter showing:
> gcc: The -mno-cygwin flag has been removed; use a mingw-targeted cross-compiler.

Looks like Cygwin changed their GCC, sorry. Will have to wait until I have
time to work out how we're supposed to build MinGW apps in Cygwin, or
someone else does. Until then, you could also try the Visual Studio build
process and see if VSS works for you.

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |