[Boxbackup-dev] Need server-side kill-switch

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 18:27:21 GMT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 05:49:21PM +0000, Dave Bamford wrote:
> Making the client back off after unsuccessful connection attempts is
> probably a good compromise. My gripe was scanning through the log files
> with all these connection attempts making it impossible to see the wood
> for the trees.

This is where grep/awk are your friends, surely. Or, depending on your
infrastructure, log everything into logstash/Kibana/Splunk/etc. and use
their fancy filters. Again, this doesn't necessarily sound like an issue
for Box.

(I regularly have to deal with dozens of servers that log SNMP community
errors due to HP Openview scanning the entire network using the
community string used for the switches/routers.)

> Or perhaps the ability to not log connections from deleted accounts on
> the server side would work.

Or perhaps log this event with a different syslog priority? It seems
like a bad idea to disable the log altogether. What if the wrong account
was disabled? You might not realise if the logging isn't there.

James