[Boxbackup-dev] Symlinks on windows

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Fri Oct 4 13:10:40 BST 2013

Hi Daniel,

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Daniel Tihelka wrote:

> just a question - some of my colleagues run bbackupd on windows (7+),
> while they use symlinks created by "link shell extension"
> (http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html). It
> seems that those files are ignored by version 0.11.1.
>
> Will windows link be supported (or are supported in dev version) as
> well? Or is there a problem with handling them on windows (which seems
> to be true from "disable symlinks on windows" commit messages)?

Real symlinks and hard links on Windows are a relatively new feature. The
symlinks in the commit messages all predate this support. It shouldn't be
too difficult to add symlink support. Hard link support is significantly
harder, as they are not supported by Box Backup on any other platform
either (the files are backed up as independent copies, so on restore they
would no longer be linked together).

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |