[Box Backup] Re: problems....

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 10:15:01 BST 2004

On 5 Apr 2004, at 10:45, Imran wrote:

> ok, i just turned off digest mode.  not even sure why i set it to
> digest mode.
>  A pain to reply to messages.
>

>>> also, if, lets say, /raid/0.0 harddrive crashed and I was to put in a
>>> new
>>> harddrive, wouldn't it rebuild the backup dir?  i renamed the backup
>>> dir, and
>>> created a new backup dir with the correct permissions, but i just get
>>> lots of
>>> errors.
>>
>> But it should have still worked, I hope?
>
> Well the server was stuck.  when a client would connect it would get
> the error
> that I pasted.  and the server side would have the can't find file
> error.  or
> something like that.  I was thinking that maybe the /raid/0.0 setup
> was messed
> up and so i tried to erase that dir and hoped that maybe the system
> would
> automagically recover.  but the problem either was in a different raid
> dir, or
> that it was some corruption of some files.
>

> This is the same state I was in today.  backup was running well for
> about 18
> or 20 hours.  one thing I noticed is that if i am in the bbackupquery,
> and
> press ^D (ctrl-D) it seg faults.

I've fixed that one!

>  I forgot to test if it does the same when
> type in exit.  anyway, i tried to do a kill on the server to stop it,
> and
> again same problem.  on restart, if a client tries to connect, server
> spits a
> RaidFileDoesntExist (2/11) error.
>
> I restarted the server, and it gave me a "while housekeeping account
> xxx,
> exception RaidFile RaidFileDoesntExist (2/11) -- aborting housekeeping
> run for
> this account" line in the syslog for each of accounts I have installed
> (four).

I believe you deleted all the store files while the server was running.
This is not something that the server is designed to cope with
(although it will cope OK if you just delete one of the raid
directories, but needs a new utility to be written to rebuild it). Can
you replicate these problems after doing a clean re-install of the
server (removing all data and configuration info)? It does sound like
you've done something which has messed things up severely, and this
wasn't done with any of the distributed software.

Thanks,