[Box Backup] exception BackupStore BadDirectoryFormat

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 11:38:56 BST 2004

On 12 Apr 2004, at 03:19, Imran wrote:

> Getting this in my server logs:
>
> Apr 10 22:13:43 backup bbstored[16937]: Certificate CN: BLAH-123456
> Apr 10 22:13:43 backup bbstored[16937]: Login: Client ID 00123456,
> Read/Write
> Apr 10 22:15:01 backup bbstored/hk[16603]: Starting housekeeping
> Apr 10 22:15:19 backup bbstored[16937]: in server child, exception
> BackupStore
> BadDirectoryFormat (4/6) -- terminating child
>

> and corresponding client entry(looks like the client is 9 seconds
> behind):
>
> Apr 10 22:13:35 blah bbackupd[27329]: Connection made, login successful
> Apr 10 22:15:11 blah bbackupd[27329]: Exception caught (7/34), reset
> state and
> waiting to retry...
> Apr 10 22:16:53 blah bbackupd[27329]: File statistics: total file size
> uploaded 22948331, bytes already on server 0, encoded size 3837036
>

> As in the log, looks like the client sent stuff to the server, so
> maybe its a
> certain directory thats having problem.

Sounds like it. I'm still not clear what happened in the run up to
this. Am I right in thinking you...

* Wait until a client is backing up to a server

* Kill the server bbstored process (letting the sub-process which is
handling the client remain)

* Delete all the data from the server

* Restart the bbstored process.

If this is the case then I need to

1) Finish the server side recovery tools, and release them

2) Adjust the behaviour of the servers to signals, so sub-processes end
too.

and you need to wipe your entire server configuration (keeping a copy
of all the *.pem certificate files) and then start again.

Unless you start from an absolutely clean setup, I'm not sure there's
much point in me looking into this too deeply. I can see exactly how
this state could come about if I'm right in how you got here.

> Also I noticed that the bbackupd locked up or whateer.  I was testing
> to see
> if i could still restore a randomo directory.  so i fired up
> bbackupquery.
> tht worked.  and exited d. and then i ran it again to look for a
> differnet
> direcctory.  i got distracted and bbackupquery was at the prompt for
> about two
> hours and it timed out, of course.  anyway I went to eh client and
> exited.
> noticed in the sys logs that there were no bbackupd messages for past
> hour.
> (usually there is the connection messages).

In an error state, there will be connections every 100 seconds or so.
In normal operation with the default configuration, you would expect
one every hour, unless no files had changed, when it wouldn't connect
at all.

> also bbackupquery should keep track of timeouts.  if its gonna
> timmeout, it
> should just timeout itself.  or server should know if its a backupquery
> timeout, in that case print a more graceful message in the srever
> syslogs

Maybe. :-) There's more important stuff to do at the moment.