[Box Backup] Cygwin build

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 12:37:05 BST 2004

On 17 Apr 2004, at 07:13, Paul Arch wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> Here's a snippet of code for BackupQueries::Compare which should work
>> on Cygwin:
>
>  <snip>
>
> Bingo, did the trick :
>
>> From command "compare -aq" :
> Local file '/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intuit/QuickBooks/QBWIN.LOG' has
> different contents to store file '/accounts/QBWIN.LOG'.
> [blah blah]
> [ 1 (of 6) differences probably due to file modifications after the
> last
> upload]
> Differences: 6 (0 dirs excluded, 0 files excluded)
> Logging off...
> Session finished.

That looks quite promising.

> It did take a while (maybe 10 minutes on 187mb dataset, I wasnt exactly
> counting).  But I also run a compare -aq on my linux dataset (5.5gig
> local
> bbackupd and bbstored on XP2100 512mb ram), and it is still going so I
> am
> happy.

The protocol is not the most efficient for streaming data back and from
the server, but then, it doesn't need to be. And in a way, this is also
a good thing, because it means that it won't get in the way of other
applications too much when they need to use the network.

> I am close to say boxbackup works under CYGWIN_NT_5.0.  I shall do some
> cleaning up and send you my modified files.  Otherwise, do you think
> it is
> worthwhile attempted to run the testsuite ?

I'm not sure. You'd have to get bbstored working to run it properly,
and I doubt that's worth it. The filesystem behaviour of cygwin will
probably mean that bbstored appears to work but is unreliable, so I'd
prefer it wasn't ported at all -- I'll adjust the build scripts to omit
it on Cygwin.

It would be worth checking that the basics work, I'd like to know that
test/backupdiff, common, compress and crypto all worked.

I look forward to incorporating the changes.