[Box Backup] Expiring files on the server

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 16:02:36 BST 2004

On 29 Apr 2004, at 15:46, Flavio Curti wrote:

> Hi Ben
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 03:39:20PM +0100, Ben Summers wrote:
>> On 29 Apr 2004, at 15:12, Flavio Curti wrote:
>>> and this for the last 3 days, which is not good...
>> Didn't it email you?
> I'd have to check...
>
>>> Blocks used by old files: 0 (0.00Mb)
>> Therefore, the only thing that can happen is that an administrator
>> changes the store allocation.
> What is an old file?

A version of a file which has been replaced by a newer version of the
same file.

These (and files which have been deleted) get removed by housekeeping
until the size of the store is below the soft limit.

>  The source currently has 38GB, so I figured 50GB
> should be enough to keep one version and some diffs...

Is you're using raid on the server, and the files don't compress well,
then you would get up to 50% expansion on the server.

If you use bbackupquery and list with the '-s' option, it'll tell you
how many blocks each file uses.

And when you do get old versions, currently they aren't stored as
diffs, but full files. I have come up with a nice plan to change this
situation, but need to get around to implementing it.