[Box Backup] free(): invalid pointer

Dennis Heltzel boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 16:32:04 GMT 2004

> These are all good instructions, but the daemon will fork and prove
> difficult to debug. To stop this, do
>
>    run /etc/box/bbackupd.conf SINGLEPROCESS
>
> I hope you'll give it a go!
>
> Ben

OK, I think I got the trace. The complete output is below. I figured out
that the segmentation fault was being caused by my adding an entry into
the config file to backup another directory. I removed that and the daemon
started up. It still gives the "free(): invalid pointer 0x80a08d4!"
message 3 times, I don't know if that is significant or not. If it isn't,
it is a bit scary and should probably be caught and not displayed to the
hapless new user. When I try to end the process with bbackupctl terminate,
I get a "free(): invalid pointer 0x80598f0!" 3 times  and it seems to
hang. I just kill it with a kill -9 for now.

# gdb ./bbackupd
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.19rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"..../bbackupd: No such
file or directory.

(gdb) file ./bbackupd
./bbackupd: No such file or directory.
(gdb) file bbackupd
Reading symbols from bbackupd...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) run /etc/box/bbackupd.conf SINGLEPROCESS
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/bbackupd /etc/box/bbackupd.conf
SINGLEPROCESS
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no
debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging
symbols found)...[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -151112448 (LWP 28088)]
Box Backup Client v0.09, (c) Ben Summers 2003, 2004
free(): invalid pointer 0x80a08d4!
free(): invalid pointer 0x80a08d4!
free(): invalid pointer 0x80a08d4!
free(): invalid pointer 0x80a08d4!

[Switching to Thread -151112448 (LWP 28088)]
0x0807d7f7 in Configuration::Verify ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0807d7f7 in Configuration::Verify ()
#1  0x0807d8dc in Configuration::Verify ()
#2  0x08079254 in Configuration::LoadAndVerify ()
#3  0x0807277b in Daemon::Main ()
#4  0x0804ae7c in main ()
(gdb)