[Box Backup] free(): invalid pointer

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 16:40:20 GMT 2004

On 9 Dec 2004, at 16:32, Dennis Heltzel wrote:

>> These are all good instructions, but the daemon will fork and prove
>> difficult to debug. To stop this, do
>>
>>    run /etc/box/bbackupd.conf SINGLEPROCESS
>>
>> I hope you'll give it a go!
>>
>> Ben
>
> OK, I think I got the trace. The complete output is below. I figured
> out
> that the segmentation fault was being caused by my adding an entry into
> the config file to backup another directory.

Could you post the offending configuration file? I'd like to make sure
it doesn't cause the parser to fail in such a dramatic way!

> I removed that and the daemon
> started up. It still gives the "free(): invalid pointer 0x80a08d4!"
> message 3 times, I don't know if that is significant or not. If it
> isn't,
> it is a bit scary and should probably be caught and not displayed to
> the
> hapless new user. When I try to end the process with bbackupctl
> terminate,
> I get a "free(): invalid pointer 0x80598f0!" 3 times  and it seems to
> hang. I just kill it with a kill -9 for now.

I'm not happy about the invalid pointer business. Is there any chance
you could stick a breakpoint on free and try and discover what is
calling free to emit that error?

Thanks for spending the time to help with fixing this bug.