[Box Backup] OpenBSD hppa boxbackup 0.09.

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 09:43:04 GMT 2004

On 20 Dec 2004, at 08:21, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 23:37 -0600, Justin H Haynes wrote:
>> Maybe its one of the following?:
>>
>> -there is a bug in gcc, or gcc on OpenBSD for hppa is too obscure to
>> be
>> fully tested.
>> -there is a problem with OpenBSD
>> -there is a problem with boxbacup
>
> Hmm, nice. Well an internal compiler error is always a compiler bug,
> regardless of anything else. So you could do worse than report this to
> the gcc bug list. Have a look on their bugzilla first to see if they've
> got anything similar.

You're using GCC v3, which is a little untested on OpenBSD, and
probably not the latest version. It's only included on hppa because the
v2.9x version most platforms use has issues which make it less hassle
to use it than struggle with 2.9x.

And the OpenBSD developers don't use C++, so the C++ side of things
doesn't get tested.

>> cd bin/bbackupd
>> g++ -DNDEBUG -O2 -Wall -I../../lib/common -I../../lib/compress
>> -I../../lib/crypto -I../../lib/server -I../../lib/backupclient
>> -DPLATFORM_OPENBSD -DPLATFORM_GCC3 -DBOX_VERSION="\"0.09\""  -c
>> BackupClientDirectoryRecord.cpp -o
>> ../../release/bin/bbackupd/BackupClientDirectoryRecord.o
>
> Try recompiling this file by itself manually. (ie. using the lines
> above). Presumably that still breaks.
>
> If so then try it without optimisation (remove the -O2).

This is a good start to solving it. If that compiles, do "make clean"
then "make" from the root of the distribution to continue with
compilation. ("make clean" at root doesn't clean the modules which make
up the distribution, which it should, but doesn't.)

You could also try building the entire thing in debug mode.

   cd bin/bbackupd
   make

(make defaults to debug mode).