[Box Backup] Overall goal for BoxBackup

Joe Krahn boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 22:40:59 GMT 2004

Ben Summers wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2004, at 18:02, Joe Krahn wrote:
>
>> My feeling is that any complete backup tool should be able to back up
>> a complete system. However, Boxbackup and it's users seem to be
>> interested in just user-file backups, not system backups.
>>
>> I've mentioned some thoughts on complex features that are beyond the
>> scope of current BoxBackup plans, but I think the ability to do a real
>> system backup is important.
>>
>> Are other BoxBackup users/developers not interested in system backups?
>> Or is it just a low-priority?
>

> On UNIX, there is no reason why you can't use Box Backup to backup every
> single file on your system. This provides a system backup. All you need
> to do, over and above restoring all the files, is to install the correct
> boot block and boot loader.
>
> Or do you mean something more sophisticated?
>
> Ben
That's generally what I mean, but a few features are missing, such as a
one-file-system option. That's easy enough to add, but when I suggested
it, it seemed that most users think it's best to use other tools for
whole-system backups, and just to use BoxBackup for important user files
that change a lot and benefit more from continual backups.

There are a few other things missing, like support for char/block device
nodes, and I had thought that some directory attributes were left out.

Assuming that device nodes are all in /dev, one could make a system
recovery directory with files containing a tar.gz of /dev, along with
disk partition data, etc., and let boxbackup store those meta-data files.

So, it's not bad right now, it's more a question of will I be the only
one interested in working in this area?

Joe