[Box Backup] even more feature requests

Juan Vera boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 20:01:12 GMT 2004

hello

  let me start by making clear that I didn't install
BoxBackup yet, so maybe I'll have more requests later;
also excuse my english :)

this was sent to Ben privatelly and he asked me to
post in the mailing list:

<snip>

Yes, that is exactly what I need: a server on internal network
fetching backups from other internal and some external servers.

The reason is mainly firewalling, but I do also backup remote
servers that have no way to get into the internal network (and
should stay in that way :). Plus I like the idea of a "closed to
everyone" backup server more than the "public area to backup",
no matter that it is still possible talk to that server when it
connects to each box.

And now another question comes to my mind. What about off site
backups? Can I burn Box Backup's repositories to dvd and restore
then latter? I have on-line backups now but I still need to have
the posibility to have them offsite, in case of fire, earth quakes,
etc, you know.

Other than that, Box Backup does exactly what I'm doing now
manually using an ssh/tar/gpg/scripts mix that I'd really
would like to replace.

Thanks

Juan