[Box Backup] interactive bbackupquery

Pascal Lalonde boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 06:50:25 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:15:13AM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:

> >>And the root directory is likely to contain many mounted filesystems,
> >>and having a mount point within a backup location is a Bad Thing
> >>because it ruins file and directory tracking (to handle renames
> >>efficiently).
> >

> >I'm not sure I understand this. Suppose I have this mount points:
> >
> >/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local, softdep)
> >/dev/wd0d on /tmp type ffs (local, softdep)
> >/dev/wd0e on /usr type ffs (local, softdep)
> >/dev/wd0f on /var type ffs (local, softdep)
> >
> >is it wrong to backup /root and /var?
>
> Not with that setup.
>
> > or the problem would
> >be if I have another directory mounted on /var/log?
>
> Yes, you should not backup /var if you have something mounted on
> /var/log .

Maybe you should make the client not cross filesystems, like 'du -x'
does, or 'dump'. Of course, this would be clearly indicated in the
documentation, and users will expect this behavior. But having bbackupd
give warnings each time could become annoying. Is that what you were
planning?

So far so good. 'compare -a' shows that everything is in order. I
finally found a machine to use as a more permanent backup server. I'm
just waiting to get a bigger hard drive and a little UPS. Soon we
will start using it (me and some friends) for backupping our personnal
stuff. This way I'll be able to see how it goes with a bigger volume
(+/- 40gigs), with 5 different users, and a few linux clients also.

Would the client run in Cygwin? And would it handle spaces in file and
directory names? I talked to some friends, and they would really like to
see this working on Win32, so maybe Cygwin could fill the gap while the
native Win32 client comes out. I'll give it a try if I have the time...
Of course the permission would be "cygwinized", but in many cases people
don't even have backups, so it's better than nothing.

How is the "exclude" snapshot? Stable enough to make a 0.04 ? :-)

Pascal Lalonde