[Box Backup] Error messages at execution

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 14:28:28 GMT 2004

On 28 Jan 2004, at 23:30, Pascal Lalonde wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 08:29:39AM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
>>
>> On 28 Jan 2004, at 05:30, Pascal Lalonde wrote:
>>

>>> First of all, I didn't succeed in running bbstored on an OpenBSD 3.3
>>> box. I keep getting an 'Exception: RaidFile (2/8)' when trying to
>>> create
>>> an account.
>>
>> Does the directory you specified to raidfile-config have write
>> permissions for the user you're running bbstored under?
>>
> Ok, you got me... shame.

I'll put in a check for that in the config scripts.

>  So afterall it works on 3.3.
> But it wasn't just that.

:-)

>>> And I generated my certificates by hand, like this:
>>> openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout domain.com-key.pem
>>> -keyform
>>> PEM -out domain.com-csr.pem -outform PEM
>>
>> Did bbstored-config not work?
> A while ago I was experimenting with OpenSSL, and creating a test CA.
> Naturally, I had my OPENSSL_CONF variable set. So it would use a
> different openssl.cnf than the default one. Unsetting this variable
> made
> things work.

I will also make the scripts check to see that this variable isn't set.

> I didn't try to install it as non-root on the other box. Maybe I'll try
> it when I have more spare time. Could be useful, as users could setup
> stores for themselves.

Only one use could, though, as it needs to use a well-known port. It
does work -- the tests run bbstored as a normal user.

> And I also have a question. Why not back up /etc ? I always do, since
> it
> would be a pain to configure everything over again. Or do you mean by
> that to back it up on static media (CD?) ? It's not my intention to
> blindly restore /etc, but I use it as a reference, or to restore
> individual files.

My main concern is that the backup keys are not backed up. It shouldn't
be a problem, but it's always best to play safe with cryptography.

Now that I have the exclude files functionality, I'm going to modify
the scripts to exclude the key file explicitly, and then allow /etc to
be backed up. But until I get snapshot functionality, I'll still have
reservations due to the "lazy" way things get backed up.