[Box Backup] Boxbackup suggestions

Eduardo Alvarenga boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 19:55:50 GMT 2004

 Hi Ben,

 I have a few suggestions:

 - Make bbackupquery accept ftp commands like ls/dele/get/etc and
   some switch to show the files in ftp format like:

  -rwxr-xr-x   1 eduardo  users       2470 Dec 29 21:23 start-backup
  drwx------  12 eduardo  users       1024 Aug 30 21:13 tct-1.14
  -rw-r--r--   1 eduardo  users     316852 Jan 21 19:34 tct-1.14.tar.gz
  -rw-r--r--   1 eduardo  users   12590686 Jan 23 09:26 tct.tar.gz
  -rw-r--r--   1 eduardo  users    3798856 Dec 27 21:49 terminator.wmv

 I think it'll be MUCH more easy for begginers to understand it.

 - Install manpages for each command and develop further documentation.
 The website's documentation is very fuzzy... I almost got lost on it.
 The "Exception: RaidFile (2/8)" error is an example.. I simply found
 nothing about it anywhere. I know "RaidFileException.h" exists an has
 some information, but it REALLY does not solve my problems. If you
 mind, I could help you with the documentation process (html/man).

 - Install useful error messages. The "Exception" errors just get me
 angry ;-).

 - Why have you chosen hex format by default? I think bbstoreaccounts
 and other tools could be much more easy to use/administer/remember if
 the account_id could be freely specified. I have 30 servers here, each
 one of them have it's own name. If I need to connect to them, I simply
 type ssh USER + it's NAME (easy to remember) and not it's HEX-code
 (hard do remember, and almost impossible to remember unless you have
 a internal brain-calculator). Unless you have a VERY real reason for
 it, I think this is not necessary.

 - An option to specify the allocation size in Mb or Gb and not only in
 blocks. (I need a calculator everytime I want to insert/alter any size.
 This is not cool).

 - Wrap you source code/documentation in 72/80 columns. It's much more
 easy to deal with it.

 I can forward this email to the list if you want.

 Best Regards,

 --
 Eduardo A. Alvarenga
 Analista de Suporte