[Box Backup] Misc questions about Boxbackup

Jérôme Schell boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 14:10:59 BST 2004

Hi all,

I am currently testing Boxbackup on Linux to see if it is suitable for
our needs. I have several questions.

I made Debian packages for Boxbackup to simplify the installation, so I
wrote initialisation scripts to start and stop the server and client
daemons.
I have a little problem with bbackupd. When I try to stop it via my
script (in fact sending a signal 15) while it is in the process of
sending files to the server, it doesn't stop. I see in the log :
bbackupd[2090]: Exception caught (7/41), reset state and waiting to retry...
If I stop it again it really exits but if there are child processes, I
am afraid of not being able to stop anything without sending the fatal
SIGKILL :)

Another thing I am wondering of is if boxbackup preserves ACL. This
could be useful in certain cases but I think ACLs are not very
"standard" accross platform so it should be difficult.

What kind of userland RAID is boxbackup using? Is it RAID 1 or RAID 5. I
would say RAID 5 as it needs 3 disks. And, in fact, can it be more than
3 disks? (I know it is possible to create more than one disc set, but I
would like to know why 3 disks :) )

Is it possible to limit the number of revisions of files? I mean rather
than beginning to delete old revisions of files only when the storage is
full, also begin to delete when the number of revisions for the file is
reaching a certain number.

Would it be possible to have a global daemon running as root and to
allow per-user configuration. For exemple each user would have in his
home directory a .boxbackup directory that would contain his own
bbackupd.conf (maybe with not all the options of the global one) and
private key/certificate/encrypt key files. This way we wouldn't have to
run bbackupquery as root and individual users could backup/restore
without root intervention. This would probably imply to regularly launch
a child process of bbackupd that would run as the user. This way the
user daemon wouldn't be able to read other user's files ;). Users would
also probably need access to a bbackupd socket to be able to use
bbackupctl. Do you see any objection that would prevent such behavior?

And last (for now) but not least, we need to implement a GUI to add
"user friendly touch" to boxbackup :). I am wondering if we should just
encapsulate calls to bbackupquery and bbackupctl or if there is a way to
use the C++ classes as a library that would provide transparent access
to the boxbackup server (this is just a thought, I didn't yet look at
the code :) ).

Sorry, this was a bit long, but I think boxbackup is worth it :)
And Ben thank you for your great work on boxbackup!
--
Jérôme