[Box Backup] Client on laptop questions/suggestions

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 17:20:18 BST 2004

On 22 Jun 2004, at 16:37, John Pybus wrote:

> Ben Summers wrote:

>>> Blimey! that's quick.  My first backup with 0.06PLUS1 isn't complete
>>> yet,
>>> so I think I'll wait a little to try this one out ;-)
>> Whoops. I think there's a minor typo in the instructions. It should be
>> SyncAllowScript = /path/to/interpreter/or/exe etc
>

> I've had a play with this new feature and it seems to be doing the job
> well; I might contribute my example script when I've tried it out a
> little more.  I've attached a patch to the exact version of
> BackupDeamon.cpp I'm using (fixes gcc warning on waitpid and logs any
> delay specified by SyncAllowScript).

I'll add that, thanks.

> I've noticed that this feature *isn't* overridden by 'bbackupctl
> sync'.   I'm unsure as to whether it should override by default or
> not, but if not then I think an option to force is needed, maybe
> 'bbackupctl sync -f', or 'bbackupctl force-sync'.

I'll add the latter, it's a trivial change.

> One thing I'd like is the ability to specify an immediate sync on a
> particular subdirectory.  i.e. being able to do a 'bbackupctl sync
> /home/john/vital-project' just after I've finished hacking on it and
> before I grab my laptop and head off for the weekend.  Like
> 'bbackupctl sync' but without the multi-minute wait as it scans my
> whole directory structure, and with bbackupctl not exiting until it's
> printed confirmation that it's done.

I can see that would be quite useful. It's been quite interesting
seeing how people are using the system, and how this requires extra
features to enable these usage patterns. It's turning out to be quite
different than if I had stuck with my original plan of closed source on
OpenBSD only...

> While I'm at it: I've noticed that none of that apps have a --version
> or -V flag.

I had another complaint about that, all the exes now support
"--version".

> If you have any opinions on if or how these features should be
> implemented, let me know.  Otherwise I'll likely work on some patches
> when I get a bit of free time.

I'll have a think about the neatest way of implementing the "backup x
now" feature. The problem is that it doesn't quite fit in with the
design of the system, and there are a few things which need to be
considered. (for example, what if it's currently connected?) However,
it's quite possible, and could be done without any nasty hacks.

If you want to have a play, maybe we should compare some design notes
before you write anything? (and make sure you check out the programmers
notes in the distribution)