[Box Backup] Possible problem

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri May 28 09:04:41 BST 2004

On 28 May 2004, at 03:04, rprice at freeshell.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem, these are the symptoms I see.

I believe everything is working as expected:

> When this happened I was running version 5, I just upgraded to version
> 6
> to make sure it wasn't that.
>
> I ran out of space on your server for my backups. That was my fault for
> sure, I put some huge files on my machine and I forgot that it would
> try
> to back them up.
>
> I then deleted the files, and over the last week or so, many more to
> try
> and get back under the limit.
>
> The backup client still figures I'm over the soft limit.

After time, your usage on the server will hover around the soft limit,
sometimes just below, sometimes just above.

> However, some of the deleted files are not showing up as deleted when
> I do
> a backup query, or at least I don't think they are being considered
> deleted, they show up in a normal listing, when I select ls -d to show
> the
> deleted files, some show up, but there are ones I know have been
> deleted
> for probably a week now that are still showing up in the normal
> listing.

They will show up for quite some time (with the 'X' flag) so they are
available to you if you need them back. However, if you do a restore,
they won't be restored.

> It's entirely possible I'm still over the limit, but I don't think so.
>
> I'm wondering if the client does not delete "deleted files/directories"
> when it's over the soft limit.

It does -- there's a load of code to make sure it will do this for
obvious reasons.

> Can you help me out here?

The server looks fine, and the logs show it and the client behaving as
it should. However, the deleted files thing I can't really check out --
can you send me the directory name (type pwd) and listing for both the
filesystem and the directory store so I can compare them?

On filesystem

   pwd
   ls -la

On store

   pwd
   list -dotsh

I would point out that just over half your storage allocation is taken
up with deleted files, and about a quarter by old versions. Is this
plausible? Perhaps housekeeping hasn't needed to really delete anything
from the store?

Remember that the deleted file flag is 'X' in the listings.

I think it's fine, to be quite honest.