[Box Backup] Windows attributes diffs on compare

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 17:07:36 GMT 2004

On 1 Nov 2004, at 06:32, Per Thomsen wrote:

> Hi,
> I sent this message last week, and didn't get any responses. Resending
> to make
> sure that it was received. I apologize in advance, if this is received
> twice.
>
> I have run a 'bbackupquery "compare -a" quit' on a Windows Machine,
> and I get a lot of differences like this:

[snip]
> store file '/cygdrive-c-Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
> Data/Dell/Alert/0/DSALogging.vbs'.
> (the file above has had new attributes applied)
> .
> .
> .
>
> ... And at the end of the compare:
>
> [ 117 (of 16760) differences probably due to file modifications after
> the last upload ]
> Differences: 16760 (0 dirs excluded, 0 files excluded)
> Logging off...
>

> I don't know for sure, but I think the compare basically finds the
> attributes of all files different. I don't know how to find how many
> files are currently backed up.
>
> I'm running the cygwin 0.08 client on Windows XP Pro, and the 0.08
> server on Fedora Core 2.
>
> Is this what I'm supposed to see? Or is something wrong with my
> backups?

This is where I admit that, yet again, I haven't managed to get the
cygwin build going myself.

I would hope that you wouldn't see that on a compare, but it all
depends on how cygwin returns file information in the stat() API. If it
varies it each time, or each boot, then you will get this error.

You will be able to recover all your data from that backup, but the
file attributes (owner, mode, that kind of thing) may be wrong. But...
really the only way to tell is to restore a little bit of it and see
what happens to the attributes.

Maybe some of the other cygwin users have some experiences they could
relate?

Roll on the Win32 native port!