[Box Backup] Boxbackup Installation Procedures for Fedora Core 2 & Windows Clients

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 17:42:34 GMT 2004

On 7 Nov 2004, at 16:15, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 15:55, ken wrote:
>> It would be nice to see a frontend on the CA to allow clients to
>> generate
>> their certificates online and provide key escrow so that if they lost
>> them
>>  they could retrieve them again.  The assumption would be that they
>> would
>> have to have an account on the CA to login.
>
> I'm not sure this really belongs with the box project. There's lots of
> different SSL based services which need certificates, box is not really
> any different to them.
>
> You should be able to use any CA for the certificates.

You can use any CA. Just use it's root certificate in the configuration
files.

>  I use cacert.org
> which is a free/open CA for apache and other things. That might be a
> good solution for box too, though I haven't tried it yet.

However, you probably wouldn't want to do that. Certificates in Box
Backup are used for authentication, not confirming identity. You will
probably want to keep control over what certificates are signed to
allow you to access the servers!