[Box Backup] infinite loop?

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 16:17:51 GMT 2004

On 9 Nov 2004, at 16:07, Charles Lecklider wrote:

> On my boxbackup client (FreeBSD 4.10) I've got this:
>
>   PID NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 14544   0 49688K 48576K RUN     17.3H 98.10% 98.10% bbackupd
>

> So I looked at the logs:

[snip]

> followed by a bunch of normal housekeeping messages.
>
> It was working fine with 3.5Gb of other stuff, but it's choked now
> that I added my Maildirs to the list. Anything I can try to make this
> work, or do I need to find another way to backup large directories?

It would be nice to see where the problem was. Can you do this for me?

Build a debug version. From within the distribution archive, type

   cd bin/bbackupd
   make

Kill any running daemon. Then start the debug version daemon. You'll
probably need to be root.

   cd ../../debug/bin/bbackupd
   ./bbackupd

(adding -c <config file> if your config file isn't
/etc/box/bbackupd.conf)

Then wait until it infinite loops.

Attach a debugger. Find the process ID from a ps ax listing, then

   gdb bbackupd PID

and then type

   bt

to get a stack trace. Let me know what it says!

Quit the debugger with

   quit

and answer 'y' to the question to leave the daemon running. Kill it.

Thanks!

Ben