[Box Backup] Problems with BoxBackup on Solaris

Peter Porter boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 22:45:45 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered elsewhere,
I've not been able to find anything in my searching.

I am trying to compile and install a boxbackup client on several Solaris
machines to run backups to a Linux server.  I haven't been able to bet
boxbackup to compile yet.  I'm using gcc 3.3.2 and make 3.8.0.  I
originally got an error on the compiler "-D <OPTION>" setting, seemingly
boxbackup assuming I had a non gnu compiler.  After making a small
change to force gnu compiler in BoxPlatform.pm, I'm getting other issues
when attempting to compile:

mkdir parcels/boxbackup-0.08-backup-client-SunOS
(cd bin/bbackupd; make RELEASE=1)
make[1]: Entering directory
`/export/home/peter/boxbackup/boxbackup-0.08/bin/bbackupd'
Makefile:9: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/export/home/peter/boxbackup/boxbackup-0.08/bin/bbackupd'
make: *** [parcels/boxbackup-0.08-backup-client-SunOS.tgz] Error 2

I've also tried this on an older Solaris machine with the sun compiler
and make, but it died when it could not find gcc libraries.

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.  I was able to compile without trouble on a Linux machine
(RH9).

Thanks,
Peter