[Box Backup] Change in network usage characteristics in 0.08?

Per Thomsen boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 06:02:22 GMT 2004

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks (after I installed 0.08) that
traffic with my box-clients has changed its behaviour: Now I have a
constant traffic of about 30-50 kbps outbound to the client machines. Is
this expected behaviour?

I have 3 clients that run over the connection in question. The traffic
seems to be steady at about the same rate all the time, according to MRTG.

I stopped bbstored, and the traffic stopped immediately. As soon as I
start bbstored again, the traffic returns, so I'm pretty sure it's
bbstored that's transmitting something.

Here is a snippet (names changed to protect the innocent) of nstats
output from my firewall for a brief period of time (about 10 minutes):

Source Address      Destination Address    SPort    DPort
#      bytes
boxsrv.example.com   client-1.isp.com      2201     2155       2002
951488
boxsrv.example.com   client-2.isp.com      2201     3568       1256
493149
boxsrv.example.com   client-2.isp.com      2201     1214       1256
493059
boxsrv.example.com   client-1.isp.com      2201     2580        241
239476
client-1.isp.com       boxsrv.example.com  2155     2201       1840
182018
client-2.isp.com       boxsrv.example.com  3568     2201       1209
122606
client-2.isp.com       boxsrv.example.com  1214     2201       1207
122487
client-1.isp.com       boxsrv.example.com  2580     2201        184
15255

So, from what I can read, the bbstored server is sending between 4 and 5
times the amount of bytes back over the wire that it is receiving. That
seems odd, given that the systems are backing up, and not restoring.

According to bbstored logs, it seems that there are simply backups to be
taken *all* the time from these clients.

That doesn't seem right to me, especially since these computers are
business computers that aren't being used at night. They have long idle
periods, which should result in long periods of no connection to the
bbstored server.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? My server is a Linux build
on Fedora Core2, and the clients in question are cygwin clients.

Thanks in advance for any insights,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen at reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561