[Box Backup] Change in network usage characteristics in 0.08?

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 17:10:39 GMT 2004

There were no changes in protocol behaviour in 0.08.

If you use lazy mode, the daemon is designed to send a trickle of
backups throughout the day. So I would expect a connection to the
server for quite a lot of the day if the clients have extensive data
modifications to upload.

Regarding the asymmetry over the data transfer, it does seem a little
odd. Obviously you're confident that the measuring system is correct,
so turn on ExtendedLogging and take a look at the logs and see exactly
what is being sent.

If a directory is modified on the client, it will request a list of
that directory from the server until it has uploaded the files. This
might mean it's requested once an hour with the default settings, for
up to six hours. Might this be it?

Or if the client is a fileserver, and one of it's clients has a clock
which is wildly out of sync, it might be downloading the directories
all the time. Check the client logs for warnings about huge offsets,
but, say, a 12 hour offset won't provoke the warning but continual
filesystem write activity by that fileserver client will result in more
queries to the server.

But as usual, a look at the logs will give more clarity over what's
happening.

Ben