[Box Backup] User interface

Joe Krahn boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 18:40:48 GMT 2004

Ben Summers wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2004, at 17:09, Joe Krahn wrote:
>
>> (I'm new to the list, so maybe this was already discussed...)
>> I recently did some web-based data management stuff using PHP with
>> data stored in MySQL. It is quite easy to do, and maybe would be a
>> good interface for boxbackup. Even though it's a bit of overhead if
>> the server doesn't already have PHP+MySQL, it is an easy to make and
>> maintain user interface, especially for cross-platform use.
>

> The problem is integrating the PHP side of things with the C++
> interfaces to the server, unless you want to run bbackupquery in the
> background and parse the output. I am intending to build a simple web
> based UI. I have some tools which allow me to build simple web apps
> quickly, outputting a standalone mini-web server.
>
> As with everything else, the limiting factor is the time I have to write
> it!
Can these tools make reasonably platform-independent source code,
and would other people need these tools to make changes to the
mini server?

I suppose it also doesn't hurt to have multiple UI's, including a
good text-console based UI.

I'll have to work with Box Backup a bit before going further...

Joe