[Box Backup] Win32 port (was: BoxBackup Server Side Management Specs (Draft0.01))

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 23:43:54 BST 2004

Hi Ben,

> So far I have not needed to change any code, and I hope that I can
> maintain the Windows GUI semi-independently, only relying on some header
> files from Box. However, there does seem to be a fair amount of
> auto-generated and platform-dependent stuff that might require work on the
> build system to integrate properly. I will tackle that when I have
> something worth integrating :-)

I just added a virtual null declaration of what() to BoxException, since
all the subclasses seem to implement it, and it's extremely useful. I
could send you a patch, but it would be against 0.07 release, and it's
trivial:

+++ lib/common/BoxException.h
@@ 70,1
+	virtual const char *what() const throw() = 0;

I would really like to see exceptions have more context information, for
example a filename in the case of an error opening a file. Perhaps the
default constructors for BoxException and subclasses should (optionally?)
take a string to describe the context in a user-visible error message?

Is there a reason for implementing exceptions with various numeric codes,
rather than creating an explicit subclass for each one? I think the latter
would increase type-safety, and allow one to more easily catch an
exception that you're expecting, while ignoring (and propagating) an
unexpected exception.