[Box Backup] Box Backup in IBM Linux on POWER contest

Martin Ebourne boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 10:36:01 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 10:10, Ben Summers wrote:
> I was unimpressed by this too, and nothing has ever said it's not
> US-only for maintainers so I might turn out to ineligible too.

Well I made a point of reading the T&C just on the off chance, and it
explicitly allows international maintainers, so no problem there.

>  Maybe if
> enough people write in and complain they'll change it, but I doubt it.

No, maybe they'd take it into consideration for a future time, but I'm
sure they won't change this one. The competition would be over before
the lawyers decided anything.

> All they're doing is getting lots of people to port stuff to their new
> servers without actually spending very much money, so opening it to
> everyone is probably too much effort or something.

I do wonder if they've even tried compiling it. As far as applications
are concerned 64 bit Linux is pretty much the same on PPC as x86. I
suspect the port would be a no-brainer, possibly even working out of the
'box'. To be honest even the original 64 bit port wasn't much work.

> It makes me happier to believe it's in order of merit, with the
> alphabetical nature being a strange coincidence.

Yes, probably you're right... :)

Cheers,

Martin.