[Box Backup] backing up mysql database

Martin Ebourne boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 08:36:12 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 06:16, Michel CERDINI wrote:
>   Now I wanted to backup a big mysql database. If I put /var/lib/mysql in
> the bbackupd.conf, the whole database will be backuped regularly, so it
> will take a lot of place on the server, isn't it ? Or when I read "Only
> changes within files are sent to the server, just like rsync", does it mean
> that only changes within files are also STORED on the server side ?

Yes, as of 0.8 only changes will be stored on the server, so storage
requirements should not be too high.

If it does work out that it is still taking up too much space then one
possibility is to dump the database out to text regularly and back that
up instead. Typically that will diff well and it'll be compressed on the
server too. Not sure how to do that with mysql, but pg_dump will do that
for PostgreSQL. I'm sure you'll be fine backing up the raw files though.

Cheers,

Martin.