[Box Backup] Signing Server Certificate Fails.

Martin Ebourne boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 20:42:31 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 20:02, ken wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> That didn't work.  I did create user box before I installed the rpm since
> the first time it said no user box using root.
>
> Ideas on the spec file?

Ken,

I saw your other posts, glad it is working. The user was the only error;
it's a one off creation thing and the RPM should all be fine from now
on.

Ben is right that following the instructions EXACTLY works, but even for
a seasoned unix user I found them rather lengthy and complicated! I've
tried to take away a little of the complexity with the RPM, but I'd
still like to make it do more. I originally had it creating the config
files but it had various problems so I removed that.

As to the plan about keeping the CA on a machine not connected to the
internet - well the only one I've got is my Psion, and even that's been
connected on occasion! I suspect in these days of broadband and wireless
routers very few people have machines not connected. And if an intruder
hacks root on the client machine then all bets are off anyway. My CA is
on the server in a 600-root only directory (/etc/box/ca in fact, just
like yours).

Cheers,

Martin.