[Box Backup] Suggested change in behaviour

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 15:09:58 BST 2004

On 20 Sep 2004, at 15:02, Richard Eigenmann wrote:

> Basically you want to stop the delete process when the directory at a
> mount point is not mounted and there was previously backed up data for
> that location.

Not precisely. I want to avoid marking files as deleted when there's
absolutely nothing in that location -- which I believe will almost
always be an indication that a Very Bad Thing has happened, and backups
will be required ASAP.

> You recommend that each mount point should be backed up separately.

I require this!

> However you might find situations where people have mount points
> further
> down the tree even if this is not such a good idea.

I must write the code which stops people from doing that.

> I wonder if there might not be a better way to detect an unmounted
> directory?

On BSDs, it should be trivially easy.

>  Use of fstab? But that doesn't help in your scenario. Perhaps
> have a list of mountpoints in the .conf file?

But I want to catch an obviously bad situation, not detect a specific
bad situation.

> You could also have boxbackup run in "safe mode" by default (as you
> describe) and use a --force-delete switch to ensure that wiped root
> directories get marked as deleted in the archive.
>
> The warning message could read something like "Directory not mounted or
> empty. Use command xxx to delete it's contents from the backup
> archive."
>
> Such a switch/command could for instance be useful for new users who
> are
> setting up boxbackup and back up a small directory first and then
> change
> the location of their root to back up everything. This would be
> something like forcing the garbage collection. But that should perhaps
> be called --force-gc and you have already made suggestions how this can
> be triggered.

How about adding a flag

   EmptyLocationSafety = [yes|no]

in the location records, which defaults to "yes"? (and mentioning this
in the log message)

Ben