[Box Backup] userland RAID 5 vs RAID 1 consideration

Tomasz Nowak boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 21:59:49 BST 2004

Hello,

As far as I understand documentation, userspace RAID
is done in kind of level 5 RAID model (3 disk, files
are split into 2 stripes and one parity bit).

I'd really like to see RAID level 1 (mirroring) implementation.
And that's why I think it would be a good idea:

1. Storage performance is rather not the case on backup
   machine; RAID 1 would perfectly do the job.
2. Reliability of RAID 1 is just the same as RAID 5.
3. Each RAID 1 array is 33% cheaper then RAID 5 array.
4. Disk space.. well - 250 GB of Caviar diskspace
   is really enough for me :-) Just need mirroring of such
   pair to be sure my backup is disk-failure tolerant.

WDYT?

--
Tomasz Nowak