[Box Backup] Win32 port (was: BoxBackup Server Side Management Specs (Draft0.01))

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 20:13:16 BST 2004

Hi Ben,

> > I second the call for duplicate file detection :-)
>
> Unfortunately there's only one of me.

Sorry, I'd be happy to help out when I've made some progress on the GUI
and Windows port and I've got a bit more time.

> Before you start changing code, it will be much easier if you work on a
> checkout of my CVS repository. The released code is run through a
> script which does various modifications like adding the license at the
> top of each file, so patches from released code are not as easy to
> integrate as they might be.

So far I have not needed to change any code, and I hope that I can
maintain the Windows GUI semi-independently, only relying on some header
files from Box. However, there does seem to be a fair amount of
auto-generated and platform-dependent stuff that might require work on the
build system to integrate properly. I will tackle that when I have
something worth integrating :-)

> I also have some extended notes on porting to Win32, if anyone wants a
> copy. (I have already sent one to Chris.)

Those notes are so useful that perhaps they should be in the notes
directory?

Sorry, I should have said *nix (or !win32 :-)

> Seriously, a Win32 server is unlikely as it depends on the behaviour of
> the UNIX filesystem. On Windows you can't delete or move another file
> over a file which is currently open.

Well, I suspect I'll have to dive into device drivers to make open file
support work, so maybe I can fix this at the same time, or make it easier
for the next person. Personally I have no desire to run a server on
Windows.

> Dump the registry to a file and back that up?

If properly integrated into the client itself, seems like a great way to
go. I want to be really sure that it's written correctly, or that I get
notification if it's not.

> > * support for drive letters
>
> I would have thought that the existing mechanism of backup locations
> will handle this reasonably well.

What mechanism is that? There seems to be an implicitly assumed special
object at the root of the filesystem with the name "/" (unless I
misunderstand). That doesn't seem to map very nicely to Windows drive
letters, especially when it comes to removable devices. Perhaps I could
have a virtual root directory with "/c:/", "/d:/", etc. underneath it.

> This requires multiple streams to be implemented, which currently
> there's no neat way of doing. Now that WinXP SP2 uses multiple streams
> to store file security information, it's probably required for Win32 as
> well. And I might as well support sparse files while I'm at it.

I don't plan to back up security information directly as a binary stream,
because I suspect that it would be useless if restored onto a different
machine or installation. Perhaps I could use such a stream for a textual,
machine-independent representation of all the security information
associated with a file, and it might be the best way to support that kind
of detailed security data. Do you have concrete plans to implement this at
some point?

> A few other people have a bit of a start on this. I will try and put
> everyone in touch with each other.

Please do, I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who is
working on Win32 support or a GUI, especially if they wish to collaborate,
but at least to avoid duplication of effort.