[Box Backup] win32 client varients

Jammer boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 05:32:00 BST 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:59, Per Thomsen wrote:

> I don't think it's failing. It simply runs in the background. Check
> with a 'ps' from the cygwin shell window. bbackupd should be there.

Nope it's definitely failing. I've used both the cygwin ps and the
Windows task manager. bbackupd is not running.

Also running "cygrunsrv" bombs with:

"cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error
1053: The server did not respond to a start or control request in a
timely fashion."

Using the administrative tools/services in the control panel also
freezes when I attempt to start the service from there.

> Also, you can look in /var/log on the 'cygwin drive'. There should be
> a 'box' file. If anything is going wrong, you'll see some evidence
> there (hopefully).

Hmmm. There is a file there which contains the message re: random seed
and the copyright notice but nothing else.

> I also submitted some scripts to get the cygwin stuff to run as a
> service. They should be in the 'contrib/cygwin' directory in the
> tarball.

Yes. I found them. The install-cygwin-service.pl script also reports an
error with "Win32 error 1053" as above after doing "cygrunsrv.exe -S
boxbackup"

I suspect there must be something wrong with my cygwin installation and
something went wrong during compilation. I've done a couple of fresh
installs of Cygwin from the net to try to eliminate that as an issue
but maybe I'm missing a needed package.

I've copied my cygwin binaries over to a Win98 machine and that displays
exactly the same behaviour (ie. exiting immediately. Obviously I can't
run that as a service under 98)

Would someone please be so kind as to mail me a copy of a cygwin
bbackupd.exe binary that they have working. Thanks

Jeremy