[Box Backup] Available: a couple of EXPERIMENTAL BoxBackup patches.

Gary boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 16:40:45 BST 2005

Ben,

> > I limit the diff in any way, the thing uploads 2/3 of each file.
> > 300MB per file, each round.

> That sounds like a bug which needs fixing.

Well, I was actually surprised when you previously mentioned that a
minute here or there should not make that much difference for the diff
- the first few seconds should lock in most of the benefit. This might
be some kind of difference across UNI*X and Win32, since diffing a
500MB file takes about 15 minutes under Windows under a decent P4 and a
7200 drive. If I make the interval any shorter, way too much data gets
uploaded.

> I was going to sort that out. The revisions to the engine will
> pre-select all files, and be able to give lots of progress
> information via a souped up command socket.

Cool.

> I kind of agree with the reason operator overloading was left out of
> Java. And I suspect that the only reason it's done for I/O was to
> give a nice example of how it's "useful" in tutorials.

:)

Gary