[Box Backup] Box backup and rotating media

Eelco Jepkema boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 10:33:43 GMT 2005

* Stefan Norlin <stefan.norlin at infoflexconnect.se> [2005-12-01 11:22]:
> >A better solution might be to let bbackupd backup to a single store
> >on a server, and rsync it to the external discs to take it off site.
>
> We use it like this. Running Box Backup in snapshot mode and sync:ing
> the data at a time when there is no activity. A great solution for us.

Thank you (and Ben) for the quick response! This seems like a workable
solution.

I have a couple of followup questions though, regarding this solution.
Please keep in mind that at the moment I have no idea how Box backup and
rsync work so these questions might sound a bit silly to you.

Suppose I've got this setup and have a server with the backup daemon and
the rsync (cron job?) that stores the files on the external disks. Now a
fire breaks out at the office and _all_ hardware is fried. I only have
the external harddisk with yesterdays backup on it. How am I now going
to restore this backup and get things up and running as fast as
possible?

In other words, is there a sort of Box backup database that is stored
along with the backup and can be used by a freshly installed Box backup
tool to extract the data? And is this true even if I've used rsync along
the way or do I need to take additional steps?

Again, thnks for the quick response,

Best regards,
Eelco Jepkema